The Kids-Kare program makes back-up and mildly ill child care affordable for UW-Madison faculty, staff and students by offering reduced rate services at either Little Chicks Learning Academy for back-up child care or through Maxim Healthcare Services for mildly-ill child care. This program was developed in 2002 to meet the needs of mildly ill & back-up child care services for parents who:
- Need care for their mildly ill child in order to attend class or work.
- Need back-up care services when their current child care provider is ill or unavailable.
- Need other care in order to meet the needs of their work or family.
Who provides these services?
Back-up/Hourly Child Care
The back-up/hourly child care is provided by Little Chicks Learning Academy who have a separate program to meet the needs of hourly/short term needs. Pediatric nurses Becky Ketarkus, RN, BSN and Jessie Pindilli, RN, BSN own and operate the facilities. The director is Krista Dignan.
- Back-up and hourly care services are provided within Little Chicks Learning Academy 5003 University Avenue (corner of University Avenue and Whitney Way) for infants, toddlers and preschool children. Little Chicks is also licensed by the State of Wisconsin and City of Madison Accredited.
Please visit the Little Chicks Learning Academy web site at www.universitykids.org for more information, including enrollment forms and unsubsidized costs.
Call Little Chicks, (608) 233-7373, for current rates. Rates are either $11/hr or $12/hr, depending on the age of your child.
Mildly-ill Child Care
The mildy-ill child care is provided by Maxim Healthcare Services who has over 20 years of experience and has earned a reputation in the home care industry for their dedication to customer service and the quality of their health care professionals. Maxim has experience providing home care services for pediatric patients with a variety of conditions and needs.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison has contracted with this nationally accredited (ACHC/JCAHO) home health care agency to provide this service. The caregivers go through a rigourous screening process. This includes multiple interviews, background checks, employment verification, and testing. Backgrounds include state, county, license (if applicable), and multiple federal.
All caregivers must have a current CPR card, current TB, and a physical signed off by a physician. All employees are bonded by the agency. All employees must have previous experience working in the health field to be employed by this agency.
Please Note: Maxim can only provide mildly-ill child care for Kids Kare families. They cannot take private pay families. More information on how to contact Maxim will be provided in the Kids Kare eligibility confirmation letter.
Who qualifies for this program?
Kids Kare was developed to meet the needs of UW-Madison parents for mildly ill & back-up child services. Through the program, income-eligible families pay a sliding-scale fee (based on annual income) for care at Little Chicks Learning Academy and/or Maxim Healthcare Services.
Back-up/Hourly Child Care:
- UW-Madison student parents enrolled in the Child Care Tuition Assistance Program (CCTAP) may use 20 hours of Kids-Kare services each semester at no cost. Funding for student families is provided through CCTAP with student segregated fees.
- UW-Madison student parents who are not eligible for CCTAP may still apply and receive financial support, paying a sliding-scale fee based on annual income.
- UW-Madison permanent faculty and staff parents may apply for Kids-Kare and receive financial support, paying a sliding scale fee based on annual income. Funding for faculty and staff families is provided through generous gifts from the UW Foundation Women's Philanthropy Council, which has supported the program since 2006.
Mildly-ill Child Care:
- All UW-Madison students, staff, and faculty should apply for the Kids Kare program if they are interested in using Maxim Healthcare Services for mildly-ill child care. You will then be notified if you are eligible to use these services. If your family is eligible, you will receive 12 hours of mildly-ill child care per year through Maxim.
How do I apply?
If you are a UW-Madison student, faculty or staff:
- Click here to open the 2014-2015 Application
- Print out application, complete all information, sign, and attach all documents
- Mail or fax to
Office of Child Care and Family Resources
611 Eagle Heights, Room 148
Madison, WI 53705
FAX (608) 262-4622
Once accepted into Kids-Kare, you will receive a confirmation letter. Eligibility will be verified and a rate determination will be made by our office prior to the start of services.
How is billing handled?
Backup/hourly child care at Little Chicks Learning Academy: Students, faculty and staff who are enrolled in Kids-Kare will pay their reduced rate directly to Little Chicks. You will be notified of your co-pay amount as soon as your application has been processed.
Mildly-ill child care through Maxim Healthcare Services: Students, faculty and staff who are enrolled in Kids Kare will receive 12 free hours of mildly-ill child care per year. No payments are necessary. If a family feels that they need more than the 12 hours, please contact the Parent Resource Specialist at 265-9123 for an Exception Request Form.
If you have questions about the Kids-Kare program, please contact Jen Dittrich-Templin at (608) 265-9123 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.